McGuane Park has become a mainstay of youth baseball and softball in Darien, Connecticut, hosting Darien Little League’s girls and boys teams and Challenger baseball program. Built and renovated in 2004 by the Darien Little League, the park’s facilities include three sports fields, a playground, and a community building with batting cages and concessions.
The park is named after Father James McGuane, who served as pastor of St. John’s Church in the early 1900s and was an advocate for youth sports. He dedicated himself to working for the community, serving on boards and committees and holding a weekly mass for the residents of the Soldiers Home. He sponsored baseball, basketball, and football games in the community, and the players on a local semiprofessional basketball team were called “McGuane men.”
McGuane was beloved in the community, and the town threw a 25th anniversary party for him in 1935 at the local high school to honor his dedication to the people of Darien. The sports fields off Noroton Avenue were named McGuane Fields in 1958; more than 50 years later, they have become the centerpiece of a park dedicated to children and youth sports.